Shmeal-ito Rad Ranch Loco Tacos
This rad recipe is inspired by one of our favorite fast food institutions. It costs about $1.81 to make 3 deliciously tangy tacos!
Serves: 10 (3 tacos per serving)
Total cost: $18.09
Cost per serving: $1.81
- Hard shell taco press. This thing holds the shape of the taco as you’re frying it.
- Hidden Valley Dry Ranch Seasoning. This is the key to the tangy coolness of the taco shells, and what sets this recipe apart from more traditional tacos.
Rad Ranch Taco Shells
- 30 soft shell corn tortillas $1.89
- About 1.5 qt of canola oil (we used Kirkland brand) or other cooking oil for deep frying $2.32
- 4 tbsp dry ranch seasoning $1.64
- 2 tbsp onion powder $0.14
- 2 tbsp garlic powder $0.14
- 2 tsp black pepper $0.07
- 2 tsp dried cilantro $0.15
- About 1/2 of 16 oz. sour cream $0.99
- 1 rotisserie chicken $4.99
- 1/2 bag of shredded lettuce $0.86
- 1 can of black beans $0.99
- 1 can of corn $0.99
- 1/4 bag shredded Mexican cheese $0.92
- 1 red onion $0.59
- 1 tomato $0.88
- Juice of 1 lime $0.25
- 1/4 bunch of cilantro $0.25
- dash of salt $0.03
- To make pico de gallo, chop the red onion, tomato and fresh cilantro. Combine in a bowl, squeeze the lime over everything and stir to combine.
- Shred the chicken.
- Open your can of corn, your black beans, your bag of shredded cheese and lettuce.
Preparing Rad Ranch Shells
- To make your rad ranch seasoning, combine dry ranch seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and dried cilantro in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Choose a pot that’s deep enough to cover the whole taco when it’s in the taco press, with a little extra breathing room.
- Fill the pot with your cooking oil, and turn the heat up to medium-high.
- Wait for the oil to heat up. You’ll know it’s ready when the oil shimmers and bubbles when a little bit of tortilla touches it.
- Place a tortilla in the taco press, and slowly, carefully submerge it in the hot oil.
- Hold the tortilla in the oil for about 30 seconds, up to about a minute until it’s crispy.
- Pull the tortilla out and carefully drop onto a plate lined with paper towels.
- Sprinkle the outside and inside of the shell with a generous portion of rad ranch seasoning.
- After the shell has cooled for about 30 seconds, smother the inside with sour cream.
- Top your shell with pico, beans, corn, chicken, cheese and lettuce and serve immediately!
The Shmeal Team. 🐖💻